Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Somewhere over the rainbow

Elise turns 5 today!!  She had her first “friends” party this morning and rather than email grandparents with photos attached, I might as well post it here.

It is a well known fact that I have serious birthday party phobia, but with the advent of pinterest, I have been enabled to overcome some of my fears of planning and executing a themed party for large groups of under age children.

It started with the invitations:

(I have no phobia of paper, paper products, computers, or candy)

IMG_7110

IMG_7111

Then the preparations:

IMG_7114

(dying pasta noodles for the rainbow craft)

I do have a “food art” phobia, but this wasn’t trying to make food look pretty, it was trying to make something pretty with food, so I muddled through.

The decorations:

IMG_7120

Another birthday banner for my collection, and the goodie bags were filled with homemade play-dough in 5 rainbow colors, plus a notebook and crayons.  And skittles.  Taste the rainbow.  Sorry for the dark photo (Amber, where are you when I need you!!!)

Here’s the framed sign in the middle:

elise rainbow birthday-004

IMG_7118

This was part décor, and part activity.  Dave and I filled the balloons last night with confetti, candy, and miscellaneous prizes that would fit inside, then we pinned them to foam board.  There was much humor involved.

The cake:

IMG_7175

(note the missing m&m’s--the kids kept sneaking pieces off as they walked by it)

The cake could almost be classified in my “food art” phobia category but other than taking me like 45 minutes to put the m&m’s on it, it was manageable.

The party girl:

IMG_7135

She spent the morning at a friends’ house (Thanks Laura!) while I prepared the food and decorated.  We had a last minute hair-do, and no shoes.  At least she’s not wearing her pajamas for the party.

IMG_7116IMG_7122IMG_7123

Friends making rainbow pasta pictures

 

IMG_7127IMG_7126bIMG_7125

balloon games

 

IMG_7136

IMG_7140IMG_7139IMG_7138IMG_7130IMG_7128

Popping the balloons for prizes. 

After the balloon popping, we played a musical chairs type of game with towels on the floor, using Elise’s favorite song, “Boogie Fever”. 

Lunch was rainbow fruit kabobs, ham, cheese, and tomato kabobs, and rainbow jello.  (Yes, it took me 2 1/2 days to make the rainbow jello).  Totally worth it.

IMG_7144

 

IMG_7143

Gifts!

IMG_7174IMG_7168IMG_7166IMG_7163IMG_7159IMG_7153

Candles:

IMG_7176IMG_7178IMG_7179

After the cake the kids played for about 20 minutes and it was time to go home. 

A big thank you to Eileen for watching Henry all morning, and Rebecca for crowd control and holding my hand.  And thank you pinterest.  Without you I would never have attempted such a party. 

We still have to do round 2 this afternoon/tonight when the big kids get home from school.  I need a nap. 

I think I can, in good conscience, take a break from hosting friend-birthday parties for the next 3-5 years.

2 comments:

Chelsea Dyreng said...

Oh my goodness that looks so fun. I would LOVE to be your daughter. :) I, too, have a phobia of birthday parties. I do everything I can to convince or bribe my children into not having one....but when I do have them it was usually worth it in the end. I may copy you on this wonderful rainbow theme you have...
Great work, Melissa.

Christy Dyer said...

So fun! So bright! Any kid would love to come.